Lift & Shift sets a new benchmark by delivering 20,000 Tons Of Heavy Lift Cargo in 30 Days for 11 projects.
31 May 2018
Between 25th of March 2018 and 27th of April 2018 the team at Lift & Shift was looking at the mammoth task of delivering 32 pieces of equipment from various yards in Gujarat (L&T Hazira, ISGEC Dahej and Reliance Jamnagar) to 11 projects located in Mumbai High, Saudi Arabia, USA, Sikka, Assam and Haryana.
The weights of the cargo ranged from 70 tons to 2,800 tons and totaling 285,000 FRT of cargo and was transported over 11 barge trips in various barges ranging from 230 class to 330 class. Along with these barges a fleet of 224 axle lines of SPMT’s and conventional axle lines were deployed.
The operations and engineering team at Lift & Shift put in place a plan to ensure that each site would be able to work around the clock across all three locations without any compromise to the safety of its people and the cargo. Closely working with the Marine Warranty Surveyor all safety concerns were addressed to their satisfaction well in time as to not hamper the delivery schedule.
The projects involved:
B-173 AC JACKET 68.439 X 36.120X 34.812 – 2724 MT
1. Neelam Development Project in Mumbai offshore field– Lift & Shift loaded out 3 modules ranging from 2,000 to 2,800 tons in 3 barges within 1 week setting a new benchmark in the yard for the load out for such large decks.
The operation involved 112 SPMT to transport the jacket and deck from the yard to the jetty and thereafter loaded out on 3 separate barges which had been prepared with pre-ballast by the marine team. The operations being conducted in a narrow tidal window were carried out in the middle of the night but with all safety precautions being preplanned.
NLM 12 JACKET 66.670 X 35.532 X 32.902 2628 MT
2. Safaniya Decks for Saudi Aramco– 4 modules weighing 1,250 tons on 2 barges again in 1 week which included towing in the barges into the channel from anchorage, preparation for load out, loading and then sail out back to the anchorage for handover of the barge to the ocean going tug to sail for Saudi Arabia.
3. IOCL Boigangaon Assam Project – 5 equipment fabricated at the L&T MFF yard were transported to the L&T RORO jetty and then loaded on to a Lift & Shift barge for delivery of the cargo to a heavy lift ship at Hazira Adani port.
SFNY deck – 39000x22254x19000 mm – 1100-1300 MT – 4 Nos.
4. HMEL Bhatinda Project– 430 ton reactor for HMEL Bhatinda was loaded on a 230 class barge from L&T HED Jetty and shipped to Mundra port where a temporary jetty was built to discharge the cargo for further transport to Bhatinda.
Reactors – 10 to 30 M Lenght – 100 to 250 MT – 5 Nos.
5. ISGEC Shipment to Reliance Industries Limited– 60 m long column fabricated at ISGEC Dahej yard was transported to Hazira Adani port and rolled onto a 230 class barge which then sailed onward to Sikka where the cargo was loaded in and transported 20 kms.
DHT REACTOR – L36900 X W6900 X H5870 (mm) – 400 MT
6. L&T HED Shipment to Reliance Industries Limited– 60 m long column weighing 600 tons, having a diameter of 8.5 m fabricated at L&T HED was transported to the jetty, rolled onto a 230 class barge which then sailed to Sikka where it was loaded in and transported 20 kms.
Parallel Primary Absorber Column – L59150 X W4500 X H4850 MM – 170 MT
7. L&T MFF Shipment to Reliance Industries Limited– 4 Desalters each weighing 240 tons fabricated at the L&T yard were transported to the jetty, loaded out onto a 230 class barge and sailed to Sikka where it was loaded in and transported to site.
Parallel Fractionator Column- L50617 X W10448 X H10144 MM – 508 MT
8. L&T HED to Indian Oil Co. Ltd., Baroda – VGO reactor of 430 tons was barged from L&T Hazira to Dahej for further transport to IOCL Baroda. LIFT & SHIFT’s scope was to barge the same on their 230 class barge.
DESALTER VESSEL – L29941 X W5020 X H5400 mm – 285 MT – 4 Nos.
9. Export Shipment– 9 equipment were transported by road from the L&T yard to Adani Hazira port in 3 days on short notice as the ship arrived ahead of schedule. The cargo was transported round the clock and delivered to the ship without causing any delay.
Feed Water Heaters– 10-24 m Long – 60-123 MT
10. RIL Sikka– Ship carrying an urgent consignment for RIL arrived at Sikka jetty where Lift & Shift received the cargo under the ship hook and then transported it to site within 2 days. The cargo weight was 240 tons.
EO Reactor – 19722x13000x9496 (mm) – 1169 MT
11. EO Reactors for USA– The final challenge was 2 reactors each weighing 1,200 tons for delivery to the USA were rolled on to 280 class barge at L&T Jetty in 24 hours after the barge berthing due to limited availability in tides. The challenge was to prepare the barge, pre-ballast the barge for load out, placement of structures for load distribution and finally the load out of reactors.
Tube Bundle – 18000x4900x2400(mm) – 226 MT
Along with above shipment Lift & Shift shifted another 65 equipment totaling to about 7000 tons within the yards of L&T and Reliance during the same period.
The secret to success was preplanning and envisaging possible delays or problems and preparation of ready back up plans ensured Lift & Shift were able to meet and deliver all the equipment on time safely.
Lift & Shift extends its thanks to its client, team members and associates who trusted that we would execute the deliveries safely and on time. SOURCE: Lift&Shift