KNM Helge Ingstad is now Ready to be Lifted … BUT the Salvage Teams are Waiting on Weather
The salvage operation of the Helge Ingstad is now waiting on weather. The operation will require a six day weather window. Since Friday last week all the preparations have been completed and since then the teams are preparing for the lift. The Rambiz and Gulliver are standing by at the safe haven of Hanoytangen. Morning Reports from the Royal Norwegian Navy since last Friday, 8 February, have been copied below,
Tuesday 12 February
The weather forecasts for the coming week are uncertain in terms of it being stable enough for lifting. KNM «Helge Ingstad» is ready to lift and the teams continue to prepare for action.
Monday 11 February
Participants in the lifting operation have carried out exercises through the weekend. The shorter weather windows have been used to make measures that reduce risk and improve working conditions during and after lifting. The weather for Monday does not seem to allow work on KNM «Helge Ingstad», improvement of the detailed plans and exercises will continue.
Sunday 10 February
Participants in the lifting operation conducts exercises on Sunday. The shorter weather windows that allow work on the wreck are used to take measures that reduce risk and improve working conditions during and after lifting.
Saturday 9 February
Participants in the lifting operation carry out exercises through the weekend. Weather forecasts indicate strong winds on Sunday evenings and Monday, a weak high pressure builds up from Tuesday but if this provides sufficiently stable weather is uncertain. All units are ready to mobilize at the operation location when conditions permit. There are many large units and a lot of personnel who will participate in the lifting operation, and the practice of individual operations will help reduce the risk to personnel, material and the environment during the actual lifting operation.
Friday 8 February
KNM “Helge Ingstad” is now fully prepared for the lifting operation to start, and units will be mobilized to the Hege Ingstad when the weather conditions allow it. The lifting operation requires six days of stable weather with winds below 10 m/s and wave height below 0.5 meters. Participants in the lifting operation will carry out exercises throughout the weekend. Shorter weather windows that allow work on the wreck are used to take measures to reduce risk and improve working conditions during and after the lift.
Some of the more recent Photographs released by the Royal Norwegian Navy are copied below
Helge Ingstad Salvage Operations – Update
Reports concerning another week of salvage operations on the Norwegian Frigate Helge Ingstad, partly interupted by the weather.
Gulliver and Rambiz arrive at Helge Ingstad Salvage Location
Gulliver and Rambiz left their safe haven, Hanoytangen, at 07.00 and 09.17 this morning, Sunday 24 February, respectivly