6 Jul 2020
Fred. Olsen Windcarrier Name Brave Tern for New 1600t Crane
Fred. Olsen Windcarrier has announced that their Brave Tern will be upgraded with a 1600t crane. The vessel will also have additional changes made to improve deck space and stability.
The upgrade will ensure that the Brave Tern will be capable of handling all known next generation WTGs and XXL foundations up to 1500t.
Brave Tern will be one of a select few vessels capable of these lifts with the highest crane in the market when it is delivered in February 2022.
Huisman have been selected to provide the 1600t LEC 65500 crane.
With its upgraded crane and additional improvements to deck space and stability, Brave Tern will be capable of installing foundations up to 1500t and handling all known next generation turbines:
- 3 x SG 14-222DD
- 4 x SGRE 10.0-193DD
- 5 x SGRE 8.0-167DD
- 5 x MHI Vestas V164/174
- 3 x GE Haliade-X 12MW
Key performance of the new crane:
- Aux hook 400t @165m above deck
- email@example.com @155m above deck
- 1600t@32m (105m boom)
- Boom configuration can be changed in less than a week
Key facts about the new crane:
- A unique Huisman 1600t LEC 65500
- The new crane will be top of market for reliability and redundancy with its proven and enhanced design
- Additional speed packages provide a very high operational speed
- The Lambda shaped boom is very stiff giving reduced motions at the crane tip
- The crane is fully electrically driven resulting in reduced maintenance and higher reliability
- The crane is more environmentally friendly with less power consumption, no oil leakage and a lower noise level
- Catchers on all blocks/hooks minimise time spent on stowing
- Small tail swing allows for optimised utilisation of free deck space
Currently the Brave Tern has just sailed from Singapore on her way to Taiwan to begin installations at Yunlin Offshore Wind Farm
Source Fred. Olsen Windcarrier